Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Dog would NEVER do That!

My dogs are 'mostly' perfectly behaved in public. I say 'mostly' because Jethro is not quite 2 years old and still VERY excited about new people and other dogs. However, when we walk they both heal very well. When we stop at the corner they both sit on command, and wait until I step off to go and fall right into their heal. I do not consider this "well trained" but merely the foundation to train them, but other people seem to disagree.
Hondo out for a walk with the family!

"WOW, they are so good. My dog would never . . ." is something we hear a lot. While I am very happy to get the compliment about my dogs behaving well, I always ask them about their dogs and why they think their dog can't "be good." The story will almost always come back to the same general issue. They tell me about how their dog drags them down the street when they USED TO try and walk them, or they just don't have time to walk their dog, or (my FAVORITE!) their dog doesn't NEED exercise because they have a yard. So their dog gets zero exercise.

I encourage them by telling them that my dogs are the result of 2 or 3 years of work, every day. One of my new favorite expressions (new because I just made it up in Home Depot the other day) is:  "Rome wasn't built in a day, and if you don't walk your dog he will NEVER obey!

Training your dog is work, and that work begins with daily exercise. Pick small, attainable goals, and keep expanding them as you go. With the example above of the dog pulling on the lead during a walk, I will ask questions about the equipment they are using, how they walk, and how often. In many cases the problem lies not with the dog, but with the owner. Using a PULLING harness on a Pitbull or other medium or large dog and then being SURPRISED it is pulling you is what Bekki
Two happy dogs after a nice long walk up and down hills!
likes to call "paying your stupid tax." Changing to a harness that is designed to not allow the dog to pull, and you will quickly change the pulling behavior. We have reviewed the Premier Easy Walk Harness and Bekki absolutely loved it as it helped her control Jethro our Pitbull and helped her confidence when she was out with him.

Once this issue has been addressed, the next is repetition. With this example changing the equipment is only the first step. Walking the dog every day is the next. Dogs require exercise every day, and some dogs (like Huskys and other working dogs) require more . . . a LOT more. So find time every day and get out with your dog. By adding consistent exercise into your training routine will absolutely help you achieve your other training goals. why? Because a tired dog is easier to work with!

Consistency is the key. Decide what the rule are, and what the dog is required to do, and do it every time. I GUARANTEE that  you will see results or your money back!

(yes, I know you didn't actually pay for anything, but you have to admit, it WAS a dramatic ending!)

2 comments:

  1. What is a pulling harness? Arent all harnesses the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are very different indeed.

    A pulling harness is a harness that allows and/or encourages a dog to pull. MOST harness sold are these kind and generally if the leash attaches on the top (dogs back) they are the 'bad' kind.

    The GOOD kind will attach on the dogs chest so if the dog tried to pull he is turned off line and is discouraged from pulling.

    If you see the Easy Walk Harness review I liked to from the article above you will better understand what I am talking about.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think. Tell us about your experiences? We want to hear from you!