Sunday, December 19, 2010

More Exercies is the Cure. Now, What's the Problem?

One of the things you will learn quickly about us is that before Bekki & I do anything, we do a lot of research. We research, read (mostly Bekki), and general learning on the subject. After a while we started to see a pattern. Regardless of the training method, process, or school, they all seemed to be saying the same thing.

A Tired Dog is a Happy Dog.

One of the many resources we discovered in our research was Cesar Millan and the Dog Whisperer. If you have caught his show, it can come across as a put on. That he can walk in and in moments eliminate unwanted behaviors by "simply tiring out the dog on a walk." (yes, I know now that there was a LOT more going on there) I thought so too, until I started employing some of his techniques, most importantly regular exercise. I began to see good results, and as I started thinking it through it began to make a lot of sense. The terminology he uses is that a dog cannot be a "balanced" dog if it has pent up energy it has not and cannot release.

"Most" negative dog behaviors are a) created by humans, because b) their dogs are bored. Why are they bored? Well, most dogs spend most of their days in a fenced yard or locked in the house alone. Most are not exercised on a regular basis. If you do not burn off your dog’s energy on a regular basis it begins to build up, just like his bladder. Sooner or later that energy, like his bladder, will need to be released. Unfortunately, that relief can take some very negative and destructive forms:

•    Chewing on/tearing up the furniture
•    Peeing/pooping in the house
•    Nervousness/insecurity
•    Constant barking
•    Separation anxiety - tearing up your house when left alone
•    Increasing aggression - 'Suddenly' nipping or biting
•    Many More!

I was skeptical to say the least. It seems too good to be true that by walking my dogs and giving them regular exercise, I can eliminate or significantly lessen the bad stuff like I listed above? So from the beginning with Hondo, and now with Jethro as well, at least one 20 - 30 minute walk is a part of our daily routine. I can honestly say that on the days when it is raining (rare here in Southern California) or I am just stuck working all day and they do not get out their behavior is worse, some days a lot worse. Like a couple of 9 year olds on a Mountain Dew rush.

Let me state I am speaking only from the research that we have done,, articles we have read, and personal observations on this subject. There are very real behavior issues out there that require the attention of a professional. However, that said, you can go a long way to dealing with most issues by hitting the pavement with your pooch.

If you require additional motivation, I will say that I have lost 30 pounds in the last year, primarily due to walking with my dogs on average once or twice a day, 20 – 30 minutes a shot. So, go walk with your dog. They will be happier, and so will you.

You can find more information on our website at www.capawblehands.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think. Tell us about your experiences? We want to hear from you!